Sunday, December 26, 2010

Permed, Trimmed, or Shaved? The Beaver's Coiffure

Oh, yes, I'm gong to talk about the haircut of my beave. Sorry mom. I just think its funny.

I have traditionally been an all natural girl. I affectionately called my style the Diana Ross. I mean, in the winter I usually let my leg hair grow as extra insulation. I am not a huge fan of shaving. Entering the dating scene in 2008 as a 36 year old woman, I had a lot to learn about keeping up appearances.

Sitting around my neighbor's kitchen last summer, conversation fell to grooming and care of your lady bits. We laughed as we all told stories of our preferences and stories we've heard about how other women make their precious parts presentable. I was the only woman who was all natural. Everyone trimmed, some shaved full on, and others went for the Brazilian wax! Ouch, baby.

Soon after that conversation I started dating my biker. This man has dated lots of beautiful women and I'm sure seen the gamete of beaver styles. So one night before I went over I decided to do a little haircare for myself. Nothing drastic, just a trim. I stripped down, got out the scissors and began to slowly snip away Diana Ross' curly locks. Everything was going well, until I realized I had a half dollar sized bald spot right on the mound of my pubic bone! No kidding, and I hadn't even saved enough hair for a nice comb over. I had 30 minutes until my date and really thought about finding something to color the spot in with, but in the end I just decided, "what the hell?" and I went out.

I've got a body thing. I fight with her all the time. To be all natural or to sassy myself up? To wear makeup, to wear sweats, to shave, to trim to wax? Many days it just seems to exhausting to think about those things, yet when I do them, I feel beautiful in a way that I don't when I'm furry and cozy in my comfy pants. Who am I? Sexy goddess? Exhausted mother of two? Silly teacher?

The truth is I am all of these things, but many days they don't flow together easily. My beaver trimming summed it all up for me as a woman. I am real. I can trim off the spiky edges and soften myself up, but there are flaws that are a part of me. Can I rejoice in them? Accept them? See them for the minor things they are?

The night I went over with the bald beave, my man didn't even notice. That was not was he was focused on. He wanted conversation more than fancy grooming. He wanted cuddling and company more than a show. I had to tell him the story anyway, just for shits and giggles. He laughed and said it always looks good to him.

Now that I'm single again, I'm gonna let Diana grow. I always thought she might look good with a pink mohawk, but what can you do with a balding beave? Rejoice in her individuality or invest in a toupee?

1 comment: